Our home is located just outside the Calgary centre, away from the noise of the hustle and bustle of downtown Calgary. Westways Guest House resides in the historical and desirable Mission district close to a wide variety of restaurants, pubs and eateries. Less than five minutes walk is the Elbow River with its riverbank pathways and island parks. 25th Avenue is a commuter street with restrictive parking but at the back of Westways is our free off street parking facing Aberhart Park.
This 1912 heritage residence radiates the Arts and Crafts ambiance, retains its heritage character with its original box beam ceilings, magnificent builtin china display cabinets, leaded glass windows and hardwood floors. These are complemented with the most modern amenities, many unique to Westways.
Breakfasts are our specialty, with fine bone china, sterling silver, cut crystal and fresh flowers. Conversations are informal and relaxed. Any dietary requirements are incorporated in the sumptuous breakfasts prepared by our hosts, energizing you for a head start on your day. Our exceptional smoke free guest lodgings provide comfort, elegance and a warm friendly environment for work or play.
Westways presents private bathrooms in every guest room, central air conditioning, a guest computer station with free high speed internet connection, digital cable TV, multimedia entertainment centres, free broad band WiFi and private paved parking with winter plugins.
- Free use of the Office Centre with highspeed internet connection, brochures and daily newspapers.
- Dining room with gas living flame fireplace.
- Third floor beverage station with coffee and tea facilities, microwave and fridge.
- Complimentary teas, coffee, pop and mineral water are supplied.
- Free off street paved parking at the rear of the house with winter plugins.
- Hard wire smoke detectors, emergency generator and fire extinguishers on every floor level.
- Summer patio with heat lamp for those chillier evenings.
Guest Room Amenities
- Free access to wireless high speed internet.
- Ensuite bathrooms – either with tub and shower or shower stall.
- Room darkening drapes and blinds, ceiling smoke detector.
- Deep pillow top mattresses for a comfortable sleep, down duvet [nondown duvets are available].
- Built in closets with full length mirrored doors, supplied with iron and an ironing board, slippers, robes, shoe cloth, extra pillows and blanket.
- High Def TV including free movie channels and a PVR, complimented with a Blue Ray DVD player and free access to movie library.
- Direct dial telephone with voice mail, free local and long distance calls, wake up call.
- Desk/writing table, bedside lamps, chairs, ceiling fans.
- Radio/Alarm clock
- Airconditioning supplemented with fans, and windows that may be opened.
Ensuite Bathroom Amenities
- Toilet, washbasin, shower stall or tub and shower combination. Tiled floor and wall.
- Hairdryer, outlet for electric shavers, mirror and plenty of shelving for your own amenities.
- Supply of towels, complimentary soap, shampoo, skin conditioner, makeup remover, hair cap, shoe polish cloth and sewing kit.
All rooms are heated by forced air central heating except the Scollen and Mission rooms which have their own gas fireplaces. During hot summer days the house and guest rooms are cooled with central air conditioning.
Calgary Westways and the Environment
Over the years we have made several improvements to the structure of this Calgary heritage home: extra insulation in the walls, double glazing all windows, and every year new caulking is applied. This helps to reduce the amount of natural gas and electricity used to heat, cool and light the house and still maintains a comfortable environment for our guests even when it is 30 degrees below Celsius. Other applications are listed below that help to reduce our footprint on our environment.
- We are a partner in the Envest Environmental Stewardship Program supporting renewable energy.
- We recycle both our plastic and guests’ bottles, glass containers, juice containers, paper products and printed materials, and cans.
- We replaced regular light bulbs with low wattage fluorescent/led light bulbs, as well as Xmas and garden lights with LED.
- Low flush toilets that actual work with a single flush
- Electronic equipment, for example televisions, DVD players, cell phones and computers are taken to the Alberta Electronics Recycling Depots.
- Used clothing, and linens are donated to homeless agencies.
These are only some of the actions we have taken; more will follow including composting household wastes, reducing our water consumption and household chemicals.