A delightful room with dusky rose wallpaper with golden flowers and vertical stripes of green, offset with rich gold drapes, matching duvet cover and green pillow shams. White sheers diffuse the sunlight over the original fir floor and oriental rugs. There is a queen sized bed with a deep pillow top mattress and luxury down duvet with reading lamps on either side. The four-piece bathroom with tiled floor and wall is suited to the room. Antique gable table with barley twist legs, and two comfortable bedroom chairs are in the adjoining small reading room through the French doors. The Rouleauville room is accented with oil paintings and antique prints and has a 26" Hi-Definition TV with Blue Ray DVD, radio/alarm clock with docking for iPod or iPhone.
The Rouleauville Room is located on the second floor, at the front of the house with a south facing exposure.
How the name of the room came about
When the Oblate area close to the Catholic Cathedral was developed, it became a village named Rouleauville after the prominent French-speaking Rouleau family. Charles Borromee Rouleau was a stipendiary magistrate when he arrived in 1886, and a year later he was named a judge of the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories. He became a member of the territorial council where he was a strong supporter of French-language rights. His brother Dr. Edouard Hector Rouleau helped establish the Holy Cross Hospital in 1891 and was the first president of Calgary’s St. Jean Baptiste Society. Dr. Rouleau lived in the house located across from St Mary’s High School at 114 – 18 Ave SW. In 1907 Rouleauville and adjoining streets were annexed by the City of Calgary and the name changed to the Mission District.
The Mission Room is a spacious air-conditioned room, with a king sized bed on oak wooden floors accented with oriental rugs. This comfort is completed with the 60" Hi Definition TV connected to a surround sound system enabling you to enjoy movies to their full extent using the Blue Ray DVD player. The four-piece bathroom with tiled floor and wall is suited to the room. Complementing the room is a gas fire stove creating a warm ambiance enhanced with candles. With the Mission style desk and comfortable chairs and radio/alarm clock with docking for iPod or iPhone, the Mission room has become a favourite with my business clientele. The Mission Room is located on the third floor at the back of the house, faces north and overlooks the small park and the downtown office towers.How the name of the room came about
This room is named after the local district where our Calgary bed and breakfast is located. It is one of the oldest communities in Calgary and originally called Rouleauville. When the city annexed Rouleauville the city change the name to "Mission" to reflect the setting up of missions in the 1850s.
The Hamilton Room is an interesting room because of the ingenuity used in adapting features to provide for a shower and bathroom. This room has another luxury - a deep pillow queen sized mattress with a fabric headboard and down duvet. The soft green wallpaper with faint gold leaves and vertical bands of blue and dusky rose match the rich drapes, duvet cover and pillow shams. The windows are dressed with room darkening blinds and shears to diffuse the sunlight. The fir hardwood floor is accented with oriental rugs.
The small shower stall (I am 215 lbs and able to fit in it) is separate from the washroom and is accessible by a three steps stair. The inlaid leather Duncan Fyffe style drum desk is complimented with 2 high back leather chairs with arms and two night tables with bedside lamps. A 26" Hi-Definition TV with Blue Ray DVD, radio/alarm clock with docking for iPod or iPhone. Decorating the walls are two large framed prints by the Spanish painter J. Surollay Bastida. Ceiling fan and large closet with full-length mirror doors complete the room.
Located on the second floor, at the front of the house with a south facing exposure.
Hamilton was the original name for 2nd St from 26 Ave to 17th SW, and is the street west of Westways.
The Grandin is one of Westways cozier rooms, and is large enough for a queen sized bed with pillow top mattress, night bedside tables with lamps and Victorian balloon back chair. This well laid out room has a 26" Hi-Definition TV with Blue Ray DVD, radio/alarm clock with docking for iPod or iPhone. The closet has full-length mirrored doors, and a small desk is set in the corridor leading from the room to the door. The shower bathroom has a standard shower stall, water closet and washbasin, and is decorated in black and white floor and wall tiles. The wallpaper in the Grandin is of a light beige darker floral leaf prints and strip bands of blue, green and red and is complimented by the dark blue drapes, matching duvet cover and pillow shams. Decorating the walls are several framed prints.
Located on the second floor facing north, it overlooks Aberhart Park.
How the name of the room came aboutGrandin was the original name for 24th Ave from 4th St SW to the Elbow River and is the Avenue north of Westways.Bishop Vital Justin Grandin was born in France in 1829. He became a member of the Oblate Order in 1851, and was ordained in 1854. After being sent to Canada he worked at the Lake Athabasca Indian missions before being appointed titular bishop and coadjutor to the Bishop of St. Boniface. He tried to prevent uprisings by the Metis, and later tried to save Louis Riel's life. He then became the first Bishop of the Diocese of St. Albert in what would later become Alberta.In 1887 Bishop Grandin requested that the Montreal-based Sisters of Charity, Grey Nuns, establish a hospital in Calgary. In 1890 he travelled from St. Albert to Calgary and commissioned Father Leduc to arrange to build the hospital. In early 1891 four Sisters arrived from Montreal, and the hospital was opened in April.
The bright yellow drapes with oriental blue prints compliment the yellow and white broad vertical band wallpaper and matching blue outline squares on yellow background duvet cover.
The Aberhart Room faces north towards downtown Calgary, and is a bright and cheery room. Though small, it is still big enough for the deluxe deep pillow top queen sized mattress and down duvet with nightstands and lamps on either side of the bed. The smaller closet with full-length mirror doors is beside the small half round writing table. This room has a 26" Hi-Definition TV with Blue Ray DVD, radio/alarm clock with docking for iPod or iPhone.
In the corner there is a smaller wing chair, and on the walls are several framed prints of ships named after districts in Liverpool. Through the pocket door is the adjoining bathroom with an original large claw foot tub where you can soak your cares away or use the rain shower head. The black and white tiled bathroom also comes with washbasin and toilet.
The Aberhart Room overlooks a small park at the back of Westways named after William Aberhart who was the Premier of Alberta from 1935 – 1943.
“Bible Bill” was his nickname; he was an evangelist who started a weekly radio broadcast about the bible in 1925. When the Great Depression hit he turned his time to political efforts to help the farmers of the west.
In 1932 Mr. Aberhart became interested in the Social Credit movement and promoted its doctrines in his radio broadcasts. Because he was convinced of a need for monetary reform, he organized the Social Credit Party in 1935. That same year his party won the election with a landslide. "Bible Bill" was the Premier of Alberta and remained in that office until his death in 1943.
With its imposing king sized bed, jetted soaker tub surrounded by candles in front of the marble gas fireplace, entertainment centre with a 42” Hi Definition TV – for watching your favorite DVDs or listening to romantic music - makes this room ideally suited for a Romantic Escape or Honeymoon. For the executive, there is a desk with an ample chair suitable for your office work. Comfortable Persian rugs enhance the dark oak hardwood floors. Enjoy sitting out on the balcony on warmer days!
The large tiled bathroom has generous counter space and a shower stall. The Scollen Room also has air conditioning. This beautiful room is located on the third floor at the front of the house with a south facing exposure.
The Scollen Room takes its name from 25th Avenue in the Mission district which was originally named Scollen Street. The Mission district is one of the oldest communities in Calgary and was originally a land grant from Ottawa for the Catholic Church “mission” that had been established in this area in 1875. When this area was developed, the streets and avenues were given French names, many related to the Catholic Church.
Constantine Scollen was a Catholic Missionary who came to Alberta in 1862 and worked and lived with the native people for many years. He was stationed at Our Lady of Peace Mission and was the first white man to learn the Cree language. Scollen is a signatory on Treaty Number 7 with the Blackfoot tribe.
Despite early intentions to establish a French-speaking community, the large influx of English-speaking settlers via CPR changed the character of the community. In 1907, Mission was annexed to Calgary. The French and English street names became the current numbers.